The Ultimate Liechtenstein Vacation Travel Guide
In this article, we get a breakdown on what you can expect to see in Liechtenstein, including the best attractions and things to do. It also has information on how to get around the country, what you need to bring, and recommendations for hotels.
Map of Liechtenstein
Liechtenstein is a small country located in the Alps. It’s known for its stunning alpine scenery, lovely villages and quaint villages, vineyards, and even a few ski resorts. There are many ways to enjoy Liechtenstein, whether you want to explore the country on your own or take advantage of one of the many tour operators that offer packages with everything from skiing to hiking to cycling. Here we’ve compiled a map of Liechtenstein to help you get an overview of the different areas you can visit.
The Ultimate Liechtenstein Vacation Travel Guide Photo Gallery
Liechtenstein: What is it like?
Liechtenstein is a small country in central Europe that is known for its mountain ranges and lakes. The country has a population of approximately 36,000 people and is just over 100 square kilometers in size. Liechtenstein is officially a monarchy but the head of state is the Prince of Liechtenstein. The currency of Liechtenstein is the Swiss franc and English is the primary language spoken.
Liechtenstein tourists are usually attracted to the country’s beautiful scenery, friendly people, low taxes, and lack of crowds. Visitors can enjoy hiking, biking, skiing, and other activities in the mountainous areas or take a boat ride on one of the many lakes. In addition to its natural attractions, Liechtenstein also has many museums and galleries including the Gutenberg Museum and the Kunstmuseum Vaduz.
How to Get There
There is no one definitive way to get to Liechtenstein. You can fly into Vaduz, take a bus or train to Sankt Gallen, or drive. The drive takes about four hours from Zurich, while the bus and train options both take around three hours.
Once you’re in Liechtenstein, exploring the small country is easy. The capital, Vaduz, has plenty of sights to see and things to do, but there are also plenty of buzzing villages and scenic hiking trails nearby for those who want to explore on their own. If you’re looking for a little more excitement, check out the skiing in Schaan or the lakeside towns of Balzers and Pluhar.
Whatever your plans are for Liechtenstein, be sure to research the area well before you go – it’s not a large country, so you’ll definitely want to make the most of your time there.
Where to Stay
When planning your trip to Liechtenstein, remember that there are many lodging options available. You can choose from private homes and guesthouses to hotels and resort complexes.
If you want to stay in town, consider a guesthouse or private home. These are a great option if you want to get to know the locals and experience the culture of Liechtenstein.
If you want to explore more of the country, consider staying in a hotel or resort complex. These offer more services and amenities than guesthouses, but they can be more expensive.
Whatever you decide, be sure to check out the different accommodations available on TripAdvisor.com before making your booking.
What to Do in Liechtenstein
If you’re looking for a getaway with a difference, consider a trip to Liechtenstein. This tiny country tucked in between Austria and Switzerland is home to some of the world’s most beautiful scenery and plenty of charming small towns to explore. Here are five things you should do while in Liechtenstein:
1. Take a hike in the Vaduz Forest: This well-maintained forest is home to more than 100 kilometers of trails that wind through pristine forests and meadows. You can also find lakes, waterfalls, and even an observatory if you’re looking for some serious hiking action.
2. Visit Vaduz: The capital is known for its stunning architecture and interesting history, including its role as the residence of the Prince-Bishop of Sankt Gallen from the 12th century until 1918. You can tour the city’s sights on foot or by bike, or take a guided tour from one of the many local providers.
3. Sample Liechtenstein wine: The country has some of the best wine in the world, and it’s easy to find great bottles at wine shops and vineyards around town.
Shops, Restaurants, and Sites
Lechtenstein is a small country that has a lot to offer visitors. Whether you’re looking for duty-free shopping or a picturesque mountain view, there’s something for everyone on this list of recommended sites and attractions.
1. Schloss Vaduz – This luxury shopping destination offers must-have pieces from world-renowned designers such as Chanel and Dior.
2. Hauptstrasse – This street in the capital of Vaduz is lined with boutiques, including several high-end labels like Louis Vuitton and Gucci.
3. Glocca Mora Cottage Shop – This charming little shop located in the Glocca Mora valley sells unique gifts, such as artisanal cheese and locally made breads and jams.
4. Zum Seilerhof – This small store in the village of Sils im Emmental sells traditional Swiss goods, including cheeses, chocolates, and dried fruits.
5. Grosse Scheidegg Ski Area – This popular ski resort has a number of stores where you can buy ski apparel, skis, boots, and other equipment.