The comer towers are still discernible, though the main gateway Best summer destinations in the China is just an empty space looking on to a desert of grey stones. A dried- Best summer destinations in the China up river-bed runs between the city’s outer and inner walls; perhaps the place was abandoned when the river stopped running.
The city was built around AD 100 and the dynasty which ruled from here had lasted until AD 600; one of its kings married a princess of the Tang dynasty and Gaochang became capital of Central Asia’s most influential province. It was abandoned in the fourteenth century.
Many of the buildings have been knocked down since then by peasant farmers who used the earth for growing crops, and frescoes have been pounded up because their pigments were believed to make good fertiliser. Today the state keeps better care of its national monuments.
Best summer destinations in the China Photo Gallery
Maybe You Like Them Too
- The Best Cities To Visit in The World
- World’s 10 Best Places To Visit
- Ngerulmud Travel Guide: Your Guide To The Best Of Dundee
- Guide to Mexico: The Ultimate Map Of Mexico, A Complete Travel Guide
- A Complete Guide To The Best And Worst Ways to Travel Peru