HOTELS. Marieniyst, Nordre Strandvej 2, 390 SP; Skandia, Bramstrasde, 1, 80 Meulenborg, Bflgebakken 5, 50 bž SP; Missionshotellet, Bram-straede 5,170 b. YOUTH HOSTEL. CAMP SITE.
EVENTS. Performances of Hamlet in Kronborg Castle (August-September).
The old Danish port and trading town of Helsingor (more familiar in English as Hamlet’s Elsinore), which received its charter in 1426, lies on the IME coast ofthe island of Zealand, only 45 km (3 miles) from the Swedish town of Helsingborg on the other side of the 0resund. The tolls formerly paid here by all vessels passing through the Sound from the N were abolished in 1857 after a payment of 60 million kroner by the maritime powers. The town has a large shipyard, engineering works and other industries.
SIGHTS. Opposite the pier used by the DSB (Danish Railways) ferries is the Station. In the square, tothe N, is the 1 2 m (40 ft) high Svea Column (Sveasojlen), erected in 1 947 to commemorate the help given by Sweden to refugees from Denmark at the beginning of the Second World War. The next street to the SW is
Kronborg Castle, Helsingor
Stengade, the main street of Helsingor. Many handsome old half-timbered houses and the Town Hall (1855); stained glass in Council Chamber depicting scenes from the history of the town (by Poul and Fanny Saebye, 1 936-9). To the NW stands St Otaf’s Church (begun c. 1200, completed 1480-1559), raised to cathedral status in 1961.1 50 m (1 64 yds) W, just off Skt. Annagade, is the late medieval St Mary’s Church (fine interior), where the composer Dietrich Buxtehude was organist from 1 660 to 1 668; he lived at 6 Skt. Annagade. Until 1851, the service in St Mary’s was conducted in German. The church is the S wing of a well-preserved Carmelite friary built in 1430 (arcaded cloister). The W wing houses the arts and crafts section of the Municipal Museum. To the W, in Axeltorv, a fountain by E. Utzon-Frank (1926) commemorates King Eric of Pomerania, who gave the town its charter.
Nygade and Marieniyst Alle run NW, passing St Vincent’s Church (R.C.),tothe late 1 8th c. mansion of Marieniyst, with a park laid out as the pleasure grounds of Kronborg. The original decoration and furnishings (Louis XIV) have been preserved on the 3rd floor; art exhibitions organised by the Municipal Museum. To the S, parallel to Stengade, is Strand-gade, which has many fine old houses, including Nos. 77-9, the Old Pharmacy (1577 and 1642), and Nos. 72-4, the Courthouse (c. 1520). At 23 Nordre Strandvej is the Danish Museum of Technology (Danmarks Tekniske Museum), with comprehensive collections in the fields of science and technology. The transport section (motor vehicle, 1866, aircraft, 1905) is in Ole Romersvej. From Gronnehave, on the North Harbour, an
old-time railway (all locomotives and rolling-stock (railcars) dating from 1885 to 1920) operates on Sundays in summer, carrying passengers to Gilleleje (24 km 1 5 miles).
To the NE of the town, prominently situated on a peninsula in the Oresund, is the handsome Kronborg Castle. The site was originally occupied by a fortified castle built by Eric of Pomerania in about 1400. The new castle was built by King Frederick II between 1574 and 1585 to the specifications of two Dutch architects, Hans van Paescheng and Anthonis van Opbergen. It was rebuilt by Christian IV in 1635-40 after a catastrophic fire in 1629; the cost was met by increasing the Sound tolls. From 1 785 to 1922 the castle was occupied by the military, but was restored in 1 924. The S wing contains the Chapel, which survived the 1629 fire (magnificent Renaissance interior, wood-carving by German masters), and, in the N wing is the Knights’ Hall, 63 m (200 ft) long. The Castle also houses the Commercial and Maritime
1 Boathouse 3 Cafeteria 5 Sculpture Garden
2 Concert Hall 4 Water Garden 6 Old Villa Museum. In the fortified walls (casemates) is a statue (by H. P. Pedersen-Dan) of Holger Danske, the national hero who, it issaid, will come to life again inthe country’s hour of need. From the SW tower (TelegraftSrnet: 145 steps) there is a magnificent view. The Flag Battery is the platform before the castle on which the ghost appears to Hamlet in Shakespeare’s play. After a lapse of 25 years the play was again performed in the castle courtyard in the late summer of 1 979. There is a pleasant walk around the outer bastions. To the W of the castle, on the seafront promenade, is the Oresund Aquarium, displaying the marine life of the Sound.
SURROUNDINGS. 10 km (6 miles) S of Helsingor, on the coast road, is the village of Humlebaek. Here the Louisiana Museum (by Knud W. Jensen, 1958), has a good international collection of modern art from about 1 950, and in the beautiful old park on the shores of the 0resund is an outstanding display of contemporary sculpture, including works by Hans Arp, Alexander Calder, Max Ernst, Alberto Giacometti, Henry Moore and Jean Tinguely. Temporary special exhibitions on topical themes; chamber concerts.
Tegner (1873-1950: some 200 pictures and 200 sculptures). Shortly before Gilleleje, on a high cliff to the right of the road, is the Nakkehoved lighthouse (54 m 177 ft), with extensive views (camp site). From here it is 4 km (2- miles) to Gilleleje (Strand Hotel, 47 Pension Gilleleje, 40 camp site), an old fishing village (fish auction daily) which is also a popular holiday resort. From the breakwater there are good views of the Kattegat, extending to the Swedish coast. 1 km ( mile) W is GUbjerg Hoved, the most northerly point on Zealand.
Helsingor to Gilleleje (24 km (15 miles); on Sundays, June-September, trips on old-time railway). The road runs past many seaside resorts to the northern tip of Zealand. Leave Helsingor on Strandvejen, passing the mansion of Marielyst in 1 5 km (1 mile) and Julebaek (beautiful beach) in another 2-5 km (1 miles); then Hellebaek (Hellebaek Kyst Hotel, 90 b.), various fishing villages, and through a stretch of woodland along the coast to the popular resort of Hornbaek (Trouville Hotel, 81 SB; Bretagne, 75 camp site), with a beautiful beach only 50 m (55 yds) from the town.
The road continues through the resorts of Villingebaek and Dronningmelle (Hulerod Kysthotel, 50 camp site). 2 km (1 miles) S, on a hill on the Villingerod-Esrum road, are a park and museum containing works by the painter and sculptor Rudolph
Helsingor to Hillerod. Road 6 runs SW (14-5 km 9 miles) to Fredensborg (Romantisk Hotel Store Kro, 58 Asminderod Kro, 11 Hotelpension Bondehuset, 23 b.), with Fredensborg Castle (1720-4; fine domed hall). Fredensborg is the spring and autumn residence of the royal family. The park extending NW to Lake Esrum, with its fine avenues and sculptures, is one of the most impressive in Denmark.
Road 6 continues through the southern part of the Gribskov, an area of forest bounded on the E by Lake Esrum (area 14 sq. km 5 sq. miles). 8 km (5 miles) farther on is the main town of northern Zealand, Hillerod (pop. 25,000; Bauneholm Hotel, 43 KFUM Missionshotel, 40 b.). Features of interest are the Museum of Northern Zealand in the Jaegerbakken park, the Money Museum in Frederiksborg Bank (Slotsgade 16) and the Ebelholt Monastery Museum (6 km (4 miles) from the town on the Frederiksvaerk road).
Helsingor Denmark Zealand Map Photo Gallery
Maybe You Like Them Too
- RAFFLES DUBAI DUBAI HAS LONG BEEN THE DESTINATION FOR SUN-DRENCHED OPULENCE
- Adventure awaits in Park City Utah
- Maldives Luxury Resort | Huvafen Fushi Maldives
- Must-Haves for the Maldives: The Ultimate Packing Guide
- WITH LUXURIOUS SANDALS ALL-INCLUSIVE CARIBBEAN ESCAPES