Legend has it that Duke Berchtold V of Zahringen, the founder of the city, named it after the first animal he killed in a great chase. He killed a bear and thus Berne got its name. With a total population of 141,000 inhabitants, Berne, the Swiss capital, is also the capital of Switzerland’s second largest canton and a university city. The Minster dominates the old town. In the 18th century Berne turned into a very prosperous town which is still reflected today in the older part of the city: beautiful houses with their arcades on street level and projecting roofs. Berne’s main industries are textiles, machinery, chocolate, pharmaceuticals, foodstuffs, the graphic trades, electrical equipment and agricultural products. It is the seat of diplomatic missions and of several international organizations, like the Universal Postal Union.
Map of Berne Switzerland Photo Gallery
Maybe You Like Them Too
- Tokyo Map – Tokyo City Guide
- RAFFLES DUBAI DUBAI HAS LONG BEEN THE DESTINATION FOR SUN-DRENCHED OPULENCE
- Adventure awaits in Park City Utah
- Maldives Luxury Resort | Huvafen Fushi Maldives
- Must-Haves for the Maldives: The Ultimate Packing Guide