Province: Hameen laani (Tavastehus lanHame). Altitude: 85 m (280 ft). Population: 175,000.
Postal code: SF-33210. Telephone code: 9 31.
Municipal Tourist Information and Con-gress Office,
Aleksis Kivenkatu 14B; tel. 2 66 52 and 2 67 75.
Tourist Information Office at station.
Tampere Provincial Tourist Organisation, Aleksis Kivenkatu 14B; tel. 2 44 88 and 2 32 07.
HOTELS. Emmaus, Hameenkatu 1, 520 SP; Rosendahl, Pyynikintie 13, 426 SP; Cumulus, Kyttalankatu 2, 350 SP; Motorest Jaahovi, Sammonkatu 76, 170 SP; Maisa, in Maisansalo, 250 Victoria, Itsenaisyydenkatu 1, 166 SP; Kaupunginhotelli, Hameenkatu 11, 120 Grand Hotel Tammer, Satakunnankatu 13, 113 SP; Otavala, Rautatienkatu 22, 46 b.
VACATION and SUMMER HOTELS. Domus, Pellervonkatu 9, 370 SP (June to August); Rasti, Itsenaisyydenkatu 1, 236 SP (May to August); Pakki, Sulkavuorenkatu 29, 126 b. (1 June to 8 August).
Two YOUTH HOSTELS Several CAMPSITES.
RESTAURANTS. Hameensilta, Hameenkatu 13; Aleksi, Aleksanterinkatu 20; Kustaankellari and Kustaa III, Hameenkatu 26; Sorsapuiston Grilli, Sorsapuisto 1; Nasinneula (lookout tower), Sarkan-niemi; Tiiliholvi, Kauppakatu 14B.
EVENTS. International Short Film Festival (February); Holiday Equipment Exhibition (April); International Festival of Folk Music and Dancing (beginning of June); Tampere in Chorus (international choir festival; alternate years 1983, etc. end of May to beginning of June); Tampere Theatre Summer (second half of August); also, throughout the summer, open-air concerts, folk dancing displays, performances in Pyynikki summer theatre and cruises on the lakes.
SPORTS and RECREATION. Bowling, squash, archery, tennis, golf, riding, swimming, rowing, water-skiing, fishing.
Tampere (Swedish Tammerfors), Finland’s second largest city and leading industrial town, was founded in 1779. It lies on both sides of theTammerkoski, a stretch of rapids 945 m (1000 yds) long, with a fall of 18 m (590 ft), between the Nasijarvi to the N and the Pyhajarvi to the S. The development of industry in the town (mainly footwear and leather-working, textiles, metal-working and papermaking) followed its exemption from customs duties between 1821 and 1906. It is now a lively modern town with large new buildings, beautiful parks and gardens, a university, a college of technology, numerous schools and first-rate social amenities. SIGHTS. Tampere’s main street is the broad Hameenkatu, lined with large office buildings. On this street, on the W side of the Tammerkoski, is the Keskustori (Central Square), with the Town Hall (Kaupungintalo, 1890), the Theatre (1912) and the Old Church (1824).
Immediately N of the Theatre is the Library (Kirjastotalo); in front of the library is a monumenttothe poet Aleksis Kivi (Waino Aaltonen, 1 929).
At the W end of Hameenkatu, beyond its intersection with the broad Hameen-puisto (Park Avenue), are the gardens surrounding the Alexander Church (Alek-santerinkirkko, 1881). Nearby, at No. 2 Pirkankatu, is the Natural History Museum, and at No. 5 Pirkankatu the Hiekka Museum (art collection, including works by Waino Aaltonen). To the W, in Puutarhakatu, is the Museum of Art (Taidemuseo). Hameenpuisto Avenue runs N to the beautiful Municipal Park, in which is the Hame Museum (local history and traditions). On a peninsula to the W of the park can be found the Sarkanniemi tourist office, with an Aquarium and Planetarium, the Nasinneula lookout tower (173 m (570 ft) high; revolving restaurant at 124 m 400 ft), an amusement park and a children’s zoo. To the S of the Alexander Church, at the intersection of Hameenpuisto Avenue with Hallituskatu, is the large Trade Union House, with the Workers’ Theatre and a Lenin Museum. 1 km (– ! mile) SW of the Alexander Church rises the wooded hill of
Ice Stadium Jyvaskyla Kalevan kirkko Kangasala,Hameenlinna Nasinneula Lookout Tower, Tampere Pyynikki (152 m 500 ft), laid out as a park, with a lookout tower. On the NE side of the hill is the Museum of Modern Art. On its southern slopes, on the shore ofthe Pyhajarvi, is an open-air theatre.
To the E of the Keskustori, Hameenkatu crosses the Tammerkoski on the Hameen-silta, a bridge decorated with four pieces of sculpture by W. Aaltonen. On the banks of the river are several water-powered factories On a peninsula, to the S, is the Ratina Stadium. At the E end of Hameenkatu is the Station (1 936), with a tall clock-tower. On a low hill N ofthe station, reached via Rautatienkatu, stands the Cathedral (Tuomiokirkko, 1907), a handsome building of bluish-grey granite with a red roof.
To the E of the railway lies the district of TAMMELA, with numerous factories, the University, Sorsa Park (lake, terrarium), the Museum of Technology, many tall apartment buildings and the Kaleva Church (1966). On the southern edge of the district is Kaivankangas Cemetery, with a beautiful military cemetery for those who died in the Second World War.
On the NE outskirts of Tampere, in the district of KISSAN MAA, rises the modern Central Hospital (1 4 storeys, 1 000 beds).
To the E of the town, at Kehatie 2, is the Ice Stadium (1 964-5) and to the S, on the Hatanpaa peninsula, the Municipal Museum.
SURROUNDINGS. An attractive trip, 14 km (9 miles) to the E of Tampere, is through the beautiful village of Kangasala to the Vehoniemenharju, a narrow ridge of hills between Lake Roine to the W and the Langelmavesi to the E. 35 km (22 miles) N of Tampere, on the Nasijarvi, is the large vacation and recreation area of Maisansalo (Maisa Hotel, 250 vacation houses, youth hostel).
Tampere to Virrat by boat (8 hours; by road, via Teisko, 120 km-75 miles). This route, renowned for its scenic beauty, is known as the Poets’ Highway; it runs through a stretch of very typical Finnish scenery.
From Tampere (departure from Mustalahti, to the N of the town) the boat sails N up Nasijarvi (alt. 95 m 310 ft), with its many bays and inlets, passing the village of Teisko on the E shore ofthe lake. In 2 hours it reaches the Muroe Canal (lock). While the boat is passing through the lock, there is time to visit the Murole Falls, a bit to the right. The canal leads into the next lake, Palovesi, the boat then continues through narrow channels and the open Jaminselka into the Kautu Canal (swing bridge), and into Ruovesi. On a crag, to the left, is the former home ofthe well-known Finnish painter, Akseli Gallen-Kallela (1865-1931). Beyond, on the W side ofthe lake, is the picturesque!’ set village of Ruovesi (4f hours from Tampere which attracts many summer visitors. The poet J. I Runeberg was a tutor in a private household here (commemorative plaque). The boat continues N into Tarjannevesi, a lake dotted with many islands, and passes through the Visuvesi Canal into Vaskivesi (alt. 98 m 320ft), at the N end of which is the village of Virrat. The trip ends here.
Another very attractive excursion from Tampere is on a motor-launch operated by the Silver Line to Hameenlinna ( 118).
Tampere Tammerfors Finland Map Photo Gallery
Maybe You Like Them Too
- The Best Cities To Visit in The World
- World’s 10 Best Places To Visit
- Coolest Countries in the World to Visit
- Travel to Santorini, Greece
- Map of Barbados – Holiday in Barbados