The tombs of Vergina (Bepyiva), final home to ancient Macedonian royalty, lie only 30km from Thessalonilti. The principal sight is the Great Tumulus, a huge, man-made mount 12m tall and 110m wide. Check out the bones of Alexander IV, son of Alexander the Great, as well as the magnificent Tomb of Philip II, Alexander’s father. Visitors can stroll into the mound and check out its magnificent burial treasures, intricate gold work, and brilliant frescoes. (Open Su and Tu-Sa 8am-7pm, M noon-7pm; off-season Su and Tu-Sa 8am-7pm. ‚8, students ‚4.) Buses run from Thessaloniki (lhr. every hr. ‚4.60) to Veria. From Veria, take the bus to Vergina’s plateia (20min. 8 per day, ‚1); follow the signs to the sights.
THESSALONIKI VERGINA Photo Gallery
Maybe You Like Them Too
- Map of Barbados – Holiday in Barbados
- Tokyo Map – Tokyo City Guide
- RAFFLES DUBAI DUBAI HAS LONG BEEN THE DESTINATION FOR SUN-DRENCHED OPULENCE
- Adventure awaits in Park City Utah
- Maldives Luxury Resort | Huvafen Fushi Maldives