Travel documents

Visitors to the four Scandinavian countries from the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada and many other countries require only a valid passport, without visa, for a stay of up to three months (for all four countries together). A visa is required fora stay of more than three months and by foreigners proposing to take up employment in one of the Scandinavia countries. Within Scandinavia there are no passport controls between the individual countries, which have formed a Nordic Passport and Customs Union.

Motorists should carry their national driver’s licence and registration, which are recognised in the Scandinavian countries. It is not now a legal requirement to carry an international insurance certificate {green card) for motorists from EEC countries within other EEC countries and non-EEC countries which have subscribed to the green card agreement (i.e. not only Denmark, a member of the EEC, but Finland, Norway and Sweden, as well): it is, however, very desirable to have the additional protection of a green card. Foreign vehicles must display an international distinguishing sign of the approved type and design. Failure to do so may result in a fine. If you are renting a car, of course, all you need is a valid driver’s licence.

Medical care. United Kingdom residents are entitled, as citizens of the EEC, to receive free or partly free medical care in Denmark on the same basis as Danish nationals. The United Kingdom also has reciprocal arrangements with Norway and Sweden under which British citizens can get free or partly free care in those countries. You should apply to the Department of Health and Social Security, well before your date of departure, for leaflet SA30 which gives details of reciprocal arrangements for medical treatment and contains an application form for a certificate of entitlement (Form El 11). American visitors and others who are not covered by arrangements of this kind should take out short-term, full-cover medical insurance before leaving home.

Pets. There is a four months’ quarantine period in Finland, Norway and Sweden. There is no quarantine requirement in Denmark, but animals must have a rabies vaccination certificate.

Travel documents Photo Gallery

Maybe You Like Them Too

Leave a Reply

31 − = 24