As a light bulb grows older its efficiency falls off very markedly. A dark-coloured deposit inside a bulb-this was destroyed in a fire in the 1 9th c. In the Academy gardens, which extend to the shores of the Soro So, is a statue of Holberg.
Slagelse (pop. 27,000; E3 Hotel, Ida-gÂ§rdsvej 1, 100 Ny Missionshotel, BanegSrdspladsen, 56 youth hostel; camp site), the third largest of Zealand’s county towns, was an important trading town throughout the Middle Ages; it had a mint coining money as early as the 11 th c. The central feature of the town is the Gothic St Michael’s Church (Skt Mikkels Kirke). To the W of the church is the old church barn, later used as the Latin School; Hans Christian Andersen was a pupil here from 1822 to 1826. The oldest building in Slagelse is the Romanesque St Peter’s Church. In a wood to the SE of the town (Antvorskov) are the ruins of a 12th c. monastery of the order of St John, which later became a royal residence. Here, on the highest flagpole in Denmark (30 m 100 ft), the Danish flag, originally the banner of the order, is flown every Sunday. 7 km (5 miles) W of Slagelse lies the Viking stronghold of Trelleborg, dating from the years 1000-1050. It is surrounded by a circular rampart with four entrances, giving access to two streets intersecting at right angles and dividing the enclosed area into four quarters. Within the ramparts were 1 6 houses fashioned intheshape of long ships, each 29-5 m (97 ft) long, with four houses laid out around a square in each quadrant. On the E side of the ramparts was a moat (the othersides ofthe camp were protected by two small rivers), and between this and an outer rampart was a row of houses similar to those inside the main ramparts. Outside the site is a reconstruction of one of the houses, based on evidence recovered by excavation.
Korsor (pop. 15,000; Halsskov Motel, Tcirnborgvej 180, 58 b.), a port used by boats sailing across the Great Belt from at least the 11 th c. has preserved much of its old-world atmosphere in spite of industrial development. From the defensive tower on the harbour there are fine views of the town and the Belt. To the N is the ferry port of Halsskov (services to Funen, Langeland, Sprogo and the German port of Kiel). 15 km (10 miles) S of Korsor is Skaelskor, a little town in a beautiful and fertile area (fruit orchards) which still preserves the feel of past centuries. St Nicholas’s Church (double-aisled) was begun about 1200. 2 km (H miles) S of Skaelskor is the Renaissance manor-house of Borreby, with defensive features characteristic of houses built in the unsettled times following the Reformation; houses built later show a trend towards less massive and more graceful forms. The road continues E to Qrslev (church with an interesting frieze depicting a medieval round dance- waltz) and then, through beautiful scenery, to Holsteinborg, with a handsome castle dating from the first half of the 17th c. set in a beautiful park (rare trees) on the water’s edge. wolfram from the filament is an indication of age.
All bulbs should therefore be checked at least once a year. It is advisable to change those which have darkened glass as well as those which are clearly defective.