In 1240 a dam was built which divided the Rotte from the Rhine and Maas delta. Rotterdam had rights of a city in 1340 and with the construction of a canal had a water connection to the important towns of Delft, The Hague and Leiden. After the Spanish troops stormed the city in 1572, Rotterdam started the Dutch revolt against the Spain. In the 17th century all sea journeys to England as well as the herring fishing were made from Rotterdam. Later came the traffic to America in addition to trade relations with Indonesia. The rise of Rotterdam as the largest dutch sea port came to a head in the 19th century with the industrialisation in the Ruhr area. During the Second World War Rotterdam suffered severe damage.
Travel to Rotterdam Photo Gallery
Maybe You Like Them Too
- RAFFLES DUBAI DUBAI HAS LONG BEEN THE DESTINATION FOR SUN-DRENCHED OPULENCE
- Adventure awaits in Park City Utah
- Maldives Luxury Resort | Huvafen Fushi Maldives
- Must-Haves for the Maldives: The Ultimate Packing Guide
- WITH LUXURIOUS SANDALS ALL-INCLUSIVE CARIBBEAN ESCAPES