1. THE OVERACHIEVER Grants 18 Year Old Much as you know Grants, their 18 Year Old is a value-formoney, blended malt, matured in oak and ü nished in a port cask for a rich and spicy malt.
6 Favourite New Malt Whiskies Photo Gallery
2. THE TALKING POINT Glenü ddich Pro&ect ?? Twenty malt masters were put in a cellar to choose their cask e4pression of choice, after which they were brought together and balanced by master Brian insman.
3. THE DESK DRAWER The Macallan Edition No 3 All about the oaks, No ă pulls European and American barrels to draw an e4ceptionally ýavoured whisky in the third limitededition instalment by master Bob algarno.
4. THE NIGHT OUT Jameson Select Reserve Sherry and bourbon casks that are followed by triple distillation lead to a ridiculously smooth whisky. A staple for a big night out, like.
5. THE FAR EAST Kavalan King Car Hailing from Taiwan and new to South African shores, the fruity single malt punches with the longlauded apanese casks in the far east category.
6. THE YOUTH Monkey Shoulder The well-blended combination of Glenü ddich, Balvenie and Kininvie Scotch is an all-rounder, well mixed in cocktails or sipped straight, making it a good holiday haul-out and gifting gold.
The most misconstrued word is ‘single’; what makes a single malt single. t is not one batch, or one cask. t can be, but it’s not exclusively. A single malt is a malt whisky made with three ingredients, malted barley, water and yeast, which is distilled at a single distillery. t all has to run through a distillery’s stills to be a single malt. One distillery. One place. Every Glenmorangie, even without an age expression, is a single malt.
It has to spend three years in a cask to be called whisky, and it has to be an oak cask, no other wood. t can’t be any larger than 700 litres and if you’re going to use a wine cask like a port or sherry, there has to be historical evidence of that type of cask being used. f you ü nd a brand new cask and you mature in it, unless you can argue that it was used in Scotland centuries ago, you can’t use it. You can do beer casks, table wines, fortiü ed wines, all types of spirit.
I’d say that cask ü nishing was an innovation, but now that it’s been done, while there’s lots of experimenting that can be done still, it can’t be called an innovation. There’s still so much that can be done around the innovative process of wood ü nishing, because there are so many interesting wine casks out there. Trick is, do an experiment today and you will only see it in ten years. So think spirit-led innovation is the next big thing. Every distillery has a spirit character, like fruity or ý oral, meaty, peaty or smokey. That spirit is then matured, but there are ways to change the character of your distillery. We can vary the process of distilling to make slightly diû erent ranges.
Cask strength is a big thing and an often misunderstood term. Cask strength means nothing is added when it comes out the cask. t isn’t above a certain proof. t is what it comes out as. t usually goes in at 63% and it drops to 60 after ü ve years and then down to 57 after about ten years, depending on cask and environment and all of that.
Jo’burg’s all-day food eatery borrows inspirations from the most iconic food markets around the world, with small plated ý avours centred around Spanish food, but stretching elsewhere on the globe as well. Try the ceviche or fried olives as an easy pass into the menu, before taking on a cut of red meat, or an on-trend oû ering like the ramen-based Wonder Bowl. The wine menu has paid particular attention to lesser-known local vineyards, and the resident wine guru can pair your order perfectly.
Maybe You Like Them Too
- World’s 10 Best Places To Visit
- Ngerulmud Travel Guide: Your Guide To The Best Of Dundee
- Guide to Mexico: The Ultimate Map Of Mexico, A Complete Travel Guide
- A Complete Guide To The Best And Worst Ways to Travel Peru
- Chula Vista Map Free Download – Map of Chula Vista