Global Volunteers, 375 E. Little Canada Rd., St. Paul, MN 55117 (a 800-487-1074). A variety of 1- to 3-week volunteer programs throughout Europe. Fees range from US$ 1295-2395 including room and board, but not airfare.
Habitat for Humanity International, 121 Habitat St., Americus, GA 31709 (® 229-924- 6935, ext. 2551; www.habitat.org). Volunteers build houses in over 87 countries. Pro gram durations range from 2 weeks to 3 years. Short-term programs in Europe, includ ing airfare, room, board, and insurance, cost from US$1800-2600.
Oxfam International, 266 Banbury Rd., Ste. 20, Oxford, 0X2 7DL, UK (a 18 65 31 39 39; www.oxfam.org). Runs poverty relief campaigns.
Service Civil International Voluntary Service (SCI-IVS), SCI USA Main Office, 5474 Wal nut Level Rd., Crozet, VA 22932 (a206-350-6585; www.sci-ivs.org). Arranges place ment in outdoor work camps throughout Europe. 18+. Registration fee US$175.
Simon Wiesenthal Center, 64 av. Marceau, 75008 Paris (aOl 47 23 76 37; www.wie- senthal.org). Fights anti-Semitism and Holocaust denial throughout Europe. Small, vari able donation required for membership.
United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR), Case Postale 2500, CH-1211 Geneve 2 Depot, Switzerland (a22 739 8111; www.unhcr.org). Gladly provides advice on how and where to help.
Best country to visit in October Photo Gallery
Maybe You Like Them Too
- THE KANDY HOUSE KANDY, SRI LANKA BEAUTIFUL BEACHES, HISTORIC TEA TANGALLE, SRI LANKA PLANTATIONS, IMPRESSIVE SAFARIS
- A HOLIDAY TO CLUB LA SANTA IN LANZAROTE
- IL SERENO LAKE COMO, ITALY SET ON THE LAKE’S SOUTH-EASTERN SHORE
- RAFFLES DUBAI DUBAI HAS LONG BEEN THE DESTINATION FOR SUN-DRENCHED OPULENCE
- PINE CLIFFS ALGARVE, PORTUGAL AS RELAXING WAYS TO ARRIVE AT THE BEACH GO