Cuesta College Art Gallery

Facilities: Galleries (2000 square feet); Library (8,500 volumes); Reading Room.

Activities: Gallery Talks; Lectures; Temporary Exhibitions.

Publications: exhibition catalogues.

The permanent collection of the Boehm Gallery numbers approximately two hundred works, dating from the 15th through 20th centuries, in a variety of media. The Gallery features six exhibitions per year, including student and faculty work, as well as that of nationally recognized professional artists.

San Simeon Hearst Castle – Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument

Facilities: Architecture (Mediterranean Revival, 1919-47 design by Julia Morgan); Grounds (127 acres, 8 acres of gardens); Museum Exhibit (free); Shop. Activities: Films: Guided Tours (reservations recommended, (800) 444-4445).

Cuesta College Art Gallery Photo Gallery




Hearst Castle, once the private estate of publisher William Randolph Hearst. took nearly 28 years to construct. Though excavation for Casa Grande, the estate’s main house, began in 1922. the building was not ready for full-time occupancy until 192/ and additional work continued until 1947. The estate has 165 rooms in the main building and three guest houses, and 127 acres of gardens, terraces, pools and walkways. The paintings on display are predominantly of Italian and Spanish origin. Paintings by Dutch. Flemish. German, and French artists also can be found. Sculpture

Casa Grande facade, Hearst Castle (.under construction from 1919 to 1947), designed by Julia Morgan. Photograph courtesy of Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument, San Simeon, California.

Is present throughout the house and gardens, including original Greek. Roman and Egyptian pieces; marble copies of ancient statues; a broad spectrum of medieval and Renaissance religious art from Spain, Italy, and France; and the works of American artists. The ceilings at Hearst Castle are mostly Spanish and Italian, dating from the 14th- to thel8th century. Once they arrived at San Simeon, many of the old ceilings were reworked to make them fit their intended rooms. Plaster was used extensively as a substitute for wood. Leftover beams and corbels from one room were used to finish ceilings in other rooms. Similarly, many of the architectural elements have been adapted from their original context to fit both the intended room and the furnishings chosen for that room. Hearst Castle is open for tours daily with four distinct daytime tours available. An additional evening tour is available on Fridays and Saturdays during the Spring and Fall. Tickets are sold for specific tour times. Since tours often sell out in advance, reservations are strongly suggested and may be made up to 8 weeks in advance for individuals.

Maybe You Like Them Too

Leave a Reply

+ 79 = 86