This retreat (above left) oozes both style and substance. The sleek bronze, stone and glass building melts into the surrounding rock face; a vertical garden creeps up one wall, while wooden slats – which can be moved to create shade and privacy – adorn the balconies. The infinity pool is trimmed with chartreuse-green sun loungers and A-frame cabanas, where you’ll find guests lunching on melon, Parma ham and tomato pasta.
IL SERENO LAKE COMO, ITALY SET ON THE LAKE’S SOUTH-EASTERN SHORE Photo Gallery
The views of the hills across the lake, with its passing traffic of sail and motorboats, are exquisite. The best vista, though, is from the balcony of your suite and the comfort of a giant day bed. Indoors, the design is equally enticing, with walnut-panelled walls, flattering lighting, stone floors and chic modular sofas and cocooning armchairs. In short: prepare to take just as many photographs of the furnishings as you do of each other.
OUR KIND OF LUXE
Incredibly, the hotel lets its guests – no boat licence necessary – take its Riva boats onto the lake for the afternoon. Pack a bikini, a picnic and a bottle of Champagne (you can cool it by hanging it over the side as you go for a swim). GO Elegant Resorts (elegantresorts.co.uk) offers three nights in a Lario Suite from £1,555 per person, on a B&B basis, including flights and transfers.
Maybe You Like Them Too
- THE KANDY HOUSE KANDY, SRI LANKA BEAUTIFUL BEACHES, HISTORIC TEA TANGALLE, SRI LANKA PLANTATIONS, IMPRESSIVE SAFARIS
- A HOLIDAY TO CLUB LA SANTA IN LANZAROTE
- RAFFLES DUBAI DUBAI HAS LONG BEEN THE DESTINATION FOR SUN-DRENCHED OPULENCE
- PINE CLIFFS ALGARVE, PORTUGAL AS RELAXING WAYS TO ARRIVE AT THE BEACH GO
- Travel to Swiss Alps – Map of Swiss Alps