Kristianstad

Sweden (Southern).

Province: Kristianstads Ian. Region: Skane. Altitude: 5 m (16 ft). Population: 45,000. Postal code: S-291 … Telephone code: 0 44. ‘J’N Turistinformation,

Vastra Storgatan 14,

S-29132 Kristianstad; tel. 12 19 88 and 11 55 00.

HOTELS. Grand, Ostra Storgatan 14-18, 135 Aston, Vallgatan 35, 28 Turisten, V. Storgatan 17, 70 Sirius, V. Boulevarden 35, 30 b.

Kristianstad, on the Helgeci in SE Sweden, was founded by King Christian IV of Denmark in 1614 when Skne was still part of the kingdom of Denmark. The town, protected by ramparts and bastions, was also a powerful fortress designed to ward off Swedish attacks on Skane. The layout the earliest example of Renaissance town-planning in northern Europe is unusual, with the rectangular street grid adjusted to the line of the fortifications.

SIGHTS. The Town Hall (1891) stands in the Stora Torg. In a niche opposite is a statue of Christian IV, inscribed with his greeting to the townspeople, Frid med Eder (Peace be with you). Also in the square are the Freemasons’ Lodge, opened by Oskar II in 1884; the Burgomaster’s House, built in 1640 (given its present form about 1800); the Stora Kronohus (1840-1), a handsome white building in Empire style, originally occupied by a courthouse and a regiment of artillery and still used by the military; and the Trinity Church (1617-28), the largest and finest Renaissance church in northern Europe (magnificent organ and carved choir-stalls, most excellently preserved).

To the E of the church, housed in the old Armoury, is the Municipal Museum (local history, art). In Tivoligatan are a dyer’s workshop (1660) and a number of 17th c. houses. The Norreport, a town gate built in 1760, leads to barracks of the same period, later occupied by a regiment taking part in the campaigns against Napoleon (memorial stone commemorating the battle of Leipzig, 1813). In Ostra Storgatan is a Film Museum, occupying the studios in which the first Swedish films were made (1909-11). At 40 Vastra Storgatan is the Cardell House (1760), with a beautifully carved doorway. This was the home of General Cardell, who is said to have had the street closed so that his afternoon nap should not be disturbed.

The house at 39 Storgatan was occupied about 1700 by Charles XII and from 1711 to 1714 by the exiled king of Poland,

Stanislas Leszczynski. Other features of interest are the large Tivoli Park (theatre, restaurant) and the Water-Tower (1966, magnificent view).

SURROUNDINGS. 3 km (2 miles) SW are the ruins of Lillhdhusborg, birthplace of Herluf Trolle, a well-known Danish nobleman. 6 km (4 miles) S Norra Asum church was built in 1200 by Bishop Absalon of Roskilde. There are interesting medieval churches at Farlov, Kiaby, Vittskdve and Fjakinge. To the S, in a beautiful wooded setting, is the 10 m (35 ft) high Forsaker waterfall. Swimming pool; 25 vacation chalets. 17 km (10 miles) NE of Kristianstad stands the Kongsgard, a castle which was a monastery in medieval times (hotel and restaurant). There are other castles at Ovesholm (10 km 6 miles), with a beautiful English-style park; Maltesholm (20 km 12 miles), on the LinderodsS; Trolle Ljungby (13 km-8 miles), built about 1600; Vittskdve (20 km 12 miles), dating from the same period: and Rabelov (9 km (5 miles): also c. 1600), on a lake of the same name. In the Ivosjo is the island of Ivo (china clay deposits, porcelain manufacture).

Kristianstad Photo Gallery



Maybe You Like Them Too

Leave a Reply

− 3 = 2