Castle Island, South Boston; (617) 727-5290
Not really an island any more, but simply the furthest reach of Southie, Castle Island is an immensely popular destination when the weather’s fine. Sea breezes and a two-mile walking path around the manmade Pleasure Bay make this a perfect escape quick and cheap on a hot day. As an added attraction, Loganbound jets come in for a landing right over your head. After your walk, ruin the effort with an ice cream from Sullivan’s take-out stand, which operates from March through November.
Looming over the entire scene, atop a low hill, is historic Fort Independence. Built in 1851, this imposing stone structure is open for free each year from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Guided tours are given Saturdays and Sundays from noon to 3:30, with Twilight walks on Thursdays from 7 p.m. to dusk. Kids will love running around in here, and climbing up to the ramparts, which offer a fantastic view of the harbor.
Marine Park US Map & Phone & Address Photo Gallery
Maybe You Like Them Too
- RAFFLES DUBAI DUBAI HAS LONG BEEN THE DESTINATION FOR SUN-DRENCHED OPULENCE
- Adventure awaits in Park City Utah
- Maldives Luxury Resort | Huvafen Fushi Maldives
- Must-Haves for the Maldives: The Ultimate Packing Guide
- WITH LUXURIOUS SANDALS ALL-INCLUSIVE CARIBBEAN ESCAPES