Churches and Religious Organizations
Churches are an important institution for Latinos, not only because they provide support, but also because they help keep Latino culture alive. Both Catholic and Evangelical Protestant churches reach out to the Latino community and offer opportunities for Latinos to celebrate their cultural and religious traditions. Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Portland has a full-time staff person who works with the Latino community. The church sponsors a women’s group that has been successful in developing social activities and in incorporating many of the religious traditions from the different Latino populations. The church has also been successful in providing support for newly arrived Latinos. Immanuel Baptist Church in Portland has also developed Tengo Voz, a program that provides social and cultural support for Latinos. This church sponsors a women’s group that helps its members promote their Latino identity.
1. Weber, 1992.
2. PJ. Granberry, and E.A. Marcelli, Latinos and Latinas in Vermont, In Oxford
Encyclopedia of Latinos and Latinas in the United States, eds. S. Oboler and D. Gonzales
(New York: Oxford University Press, 2005).
3. Marcelli and Granberry, 2006.
4. Singer, 2004.
5. Russell, 2006.
6. Grard, 2006.
7. U.S. Department of Commerce.
8. Suarez-Orozco and Paez, 2002.
Holiday in Maine Photo Gallery
Maybe You Like Them Too
- Coolest Countries in the World to Visit
- Travel to Santorini, Greece
- Map of Barbados – Holiday in Barbados
- RAFFLES DUBAI DUBAI HAS LONG BEEN THE DESTINATION FOR SUN-DRENCHED OPULENCE
- Adventure awaits in Park City Utah