Several habitats in the U.S. have animals brought from around the world for programs such as breeding and rehabilitation. The following are those with commercial tours:
• African Safari Wildlife Park (Port Clinton, OH; www.africansafariwildlifepark.com)
• Fossil Rim Wildlife Center (Glen Rose, TX; www.fossilrim.com)
• Kangaroo Conservation Center at North Georgia Zoo (Dawsonville, GA; www.northgeorgiazoo.com/kangaroo-conservation-at-north-georgia-zoo.html)
• Lee G. Simmons Conservation Park & Wildlife Safari (Ashland, NE; www.wildlifesafaripark.com)
Safaris in the U.S.A Photo Gallery
• Lion Country Safari (Loxahatchee. FL; www.lioncountrysafari.com)
• Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch (San Antonio, TX; www.wildliferanchtexas.com)
• Pine Mountain Wild Animal Park (Pine Mountain, GA; www.animalsafari.com)
• Pine Mountain Wild Animal Park (Strafford, MO; www.animalsafari.com)
• San Diego Zoo Safari Park (Escondido, CA; www.sdzsafaripark.org)
• The Wilds (Cumberland, OH; www.thewilds.org)
• Watani Grasslands Reserve at the North Carolina Zoo (Asheboro, NC; (www.nczoo.org/subpages.aspx?pageID=12639®ion=Africa&category=Watani %20Grasslands&CID=209&subCatID=237&contentPage=true&selfID=12654)
• Wild Country Safari Park (Epps, LA; www.wildcountrysafari.com)
• Wildlife Safari (Winston, OR; www.windlifesafari.net)
• Wolf Park (Battle Ground, IN; www.wolfpark.org)
Whale-watching tourism spending has nearly doubled to approximately $1 billion,
growing from an estimated $504 million in 1994. Annually, the interest attracts over
nine million boat and land-based participants.
Patricia Corrigan, author of The Whale Watcher’s Guide and Our Wild World:
Whales, suggests the following extended whale viewing trips:
• Oahu, Hawaii: During humpback whale season, one- and two-week research vacations are based in the region.
• Newfoundland, Canada: Whale Study Week includes boat trips as well as classes in whale biology and general marine ecology.
• Puget Sound, British Colombia: This Earthwatch Institute 10-day program allows participants to work on shore and on boats assisting researchers as they carefully study the human impact on the fast-declining killer whale population.
• Chichagof Island and Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska: Travelers can whale-watch on seven-day sea kayaking/camping trips.
• San Juan Islands, off the coast of Washington: Large pods of orca (whales) roam nearby waters, providing the highlights for two-, three-, and five-day sea kayaking/camping trips that depart from Friday Harbor in Washington.
• San Ignacio Lagoon, Baja California, Mexico: Five-day programs (in a safari-style camp just yards from shore) include daily boat trips that are available during whale-watching season.
• Gulf of St. Lawrence, Canada: Travelers can enjoy six to eight days on the water watching giant blue whales, finbacks, and humpbacks while assisting the Mingan Island Cetacean Study researchers with data collection.
Maybe You Like Them Too
- Mandapa A Ritz-Carlton Reserve Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
- Reviews: Zannier Hotels Phum Baitang – Map of Cambodia – Where to Stay in Cambodia
- The Datai, Langkawi MALAYSIA
- Honeymoon at Domaine des Etangs FRANCE
- Travel to Carneros Resort And Spa NAPA VALLEY, CALIFORNIA