Travel money Scandinavia

SURROUNDINGS. 2 km (1J miles) NE of Cathe-dral Square, on the outskirts of the town (along Hameenkatu, then beyond the railway turn left along Kirkkotie), is the little 14th c. St Karin’s Church (Kaarinan Kirkko). In the churchyard is the tomb of the lawyer, Mathias Calonius (1738-1817), first governor of Finland after its annexation by Russia, who honourably insisted on the observance of the country’s old laws which had been guaranteed by the Tsar. 3 km (2 miles) NE of Turku station on the Tampere road (Tampereentie) stands St Mary’s Church (Maarian Kirkko), a fine 14th c. church of undressed stone in excellent condition. Nearby are the sparse remains of what is said to have been the first Christian church in the country, built at the village of Rantamaki in 1161.

SW of Turku, off the mouth of the Aurajoki, lies the island of Ruissalo, Travel money Scandinavia linked with the mainland by a bridge; it has an extensive recreation area (camp site; restaurant; golf, miniature golf, riding, water-skiing). In the middle of the island is a spring with an inscription commemorating the Swedish poet, M. Choraus (1774-1806), who lived on the island for a while. On the S coast is a bathing beach. On the mainland, tothe N ofthe island, istheoil port of Pansio, with storage tanks. S of Ruissalo in the Ruissalo Sound, the primary shipping channel for Turku, is the little island of Pikku-Pukki, a popular excursion from Turku (motorboat services), with the Airisto Yacht Club and a summer restaurant.

Onthecoast, 17 km (10 miles) W of Turku, we come to the little town of Naantali (Swedish Nddendal), a popular resort (pop. 8000; Moshulu Hotel, 102 Kultainen Aurinko, 87 b.). The town developed around a Brigittine convent founded in 1443. An ancient church on the coast N of the town has a number of old monuments and a 15th c. altar from Danzig. Near the church is a stone commemorating Jons Budde (d. 1491), the earliest identifiable Finnish writer; he was a monk in Naantali. Naantali is now Finland’s leading port for imports, with the country’s first oil refinery. On the island of Luonnonmaa, to the W of Naantali, which is linked with the mainland by the Ukku-Peka Bridge, is Kultaranta, summer residence of the President of Finland.

Turku to Parainen. Leave on Road 1, and in 9 km (5 miles), at Kaarina, turn into the beautiful Road 180, which runs S over the Pohjoissalmi on to the island of Kuusisto (Swedish Kusto). Soon after the bridge a narrow road (6 km 4 miles) goes off on the left to the meagre remains of Kuusisto Caste, at the E end of the island, a stronghold of the bishops of Finland; it was built in 1317 and demolished at the Reformation (1528). From Kuusisto a suspension bridge 300 m (330 yds) long (1963) crosses the Ravsund to the island oiKirjala. Here a road branches off on the left to the well-preserved 15th c. Kvidja Castle, 7-5 km (5 miles) SE on the N coast of the island of Lemlahti, which once belonged to Bishop Magnus Tavast. 2 km (H miles) beyond this turn, the main road crosses the Hassundon a bridge 115 m (125 yds) long and in another 4 km (2-miles) reaches Parainen (Swedish Pargas), with limestone quarries, large cement works and an old stone church (fine interior). About 13 km (8 miles) SW of the town, amid a great scatter of skerries, is the island of Stormald, a popular holiday resort. Here is the Airisto Hotel, run by the Finnish Tourist Board (71 open from the beginning of June to the end of August). 16 km (10 miles) SW of Parainen, on the same road as the Airisto Hotel, is the little port of Lillmald. From Lillmalo it is possible to continue by means of three ferries and a road running SW over the Nagu Islands to the island of Korpo, lying far from the mainland (35 km (22 miles) to Korpo church, which contains some old wooden sculpture).

Travel money Scandinavia Photo Gallery



Maybe You Like Them Too

Leave a Reply

45 + = 48