Map Of Sauchiehall Street Glasgow

78 St Vincent Place

Phoenix Trophies

Sculptors: Bromsgrove Guild of Applied Arts (1912-3)

Built above the ground floor of a giant, seven-storey building we see three, large phoenixes. The mythical beasts of rebirth are shown rising out of piles of helmets, swords, and other relics of war presumably an image the insurance company who originally worked inside felt fitting.

188-94 West George Street

Poseidon, Amphitrite and Associated Decorative Carving

Map Of Sauchiehall Street Glasgow Photo Gallery




Sculptor: Unknown (1901)

With a central bay featuring carvings of Poseidon, his wife Amphitrite, a lighthouse, galleons, and a pair of lively walruses, it’s not hard to guess where Britannia Life Ltd’s business interests lay. Built at the turn of the century, it is one of the city’s younger insurance offices.

169 West George Street

Architect: Robert Thomson (1891)

These nineteenth-century commercial premises were built in 1891 for McLay, Murray & Spens, a legal firm still in existence today (though now occupying different offices). A blindfolded woman features on the front.

James Sellars House 144-6 West George Street

Spandrel Figures and Associated Decorative Carving

Sculptor: William Mossman Junior (1877-80) This building, renamed in 1979 in honour of the architect who designed it, was built for the New Club in 1880. It features two reclining female figures above the entrance arch, one symbolising Summer, with scythe and a sheave of wheat, and the other Autumn with grapes and a pitcher, possibly casting allusions to the work hard/play hard attitude of this gentleman’s club. Sellars is reputed to have visited the most important clubs in London when designing the building, to include all the most modern improvements and make the accommodation as luxurious as possible.

Maybe You Like Them Too

Leave a Reply

73 − = 63