Greenwich Railway Station was opened in 1838, when the first passenger route in Southern England provided a service from London Bridge at 15-minute intervals from 8.00 am to 9.00 pm at a cost of sixpence (omnibus or open carriage) or ninepence (1st Class, imperials or mail). By 1846, the service was carrying a million passengers per year. The station was originally located close to Greenwich Park on the assumption that the line would be continued on the surface, or by tunnel or deep cutting or on a viaduct across the Park on its planned route to Dover. When no such permission was given, the station was dismantled and rebuilt on its present Greenwich High Road site (below) in 1840.
Greenwich Theatre with its main entrance in Croom’s Hill. The Nevada Street entrance, designed by John George Buckle, was the main entrance until 1902.
North Greenwich Tube Map Photo Gallery
The Greenwich Clocktower Market (open weekends and Bank Holidays) has an array of quirky stalls selling antique, vintage and craft items. It is on Greenwich High Road next to the Greenwich Picture House, a five-screen cinema.
The 11th century St Alfege’s Church was designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor and reconsecrated in 1718 after being destroyed by a violent storm in 1710. Alfege, Bishop of Canterbury was stoned to death here by invading Danes in 1012, exactly 1000 years ago.
On 19 April 2012, Dr Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury, conducted a special commemorative service to mark the millennium anniversary. A re-enactment of the martyrdom of Alfege was also held, complete with replica Viking boats.
A 19th century view of Greenwich Park much as it is today. The Greenwich Hospital Pensioners, many of them amputees, earned extra income by acting as guides and telling naval stories. The dome of St. Paul’s Cathedral is clearly visible on the horizon.
Maybe You Like Them Too
- ALTO ATACAMA CHILE
- AMANEMU ISE-SHIMA, JAPAN
- THE CASINA SIENA, ITALY
- THE BIRD’S NEST, TREEHOTEL SWEDEN
- KURAMATHI OVER IN THE RASDHOO ATOLL, START AS YOU MEAN TO GO ON