Ostersund Sweden Map

Ostersund, the only town in Jamtland and the administrative, economic and cultural hub of the province, is on elevated land above the E shore of the Storsjo. The town was founded by Gustav III in 1786, and has preserved its original rectangular street plan. In the lake opposite the town is the hilly island of Froso.

SIGHTS. In the main street, RSdhus-gata, stands the Town Hall (F. B. Wall-berg, 1912). Diagonally across from it are the Municipal Museum and the Old Church (1846). The New Church (L. I. Wahlman, 1940) has frescoes by H. Linnqvist in the choir. Parallel with Radhusgata, to the W, is Storgata, lined with 1 9th c. houses.

To the N of the town, in a building designed by F. B. Wallberg (1 928-30), is the Jamtland Provincial Museum (history and culture ofthe province), with a small art gallery. To the NW is the Fornbyn Jamtli open-air museum, with old wooden houses from Jamtland and the Harjedal.

SURROUNDINGS. In the Storsjo (area 448 sq. km (175 sq. miles), greatest depth 74 m 240 ft), is the fertile island of Froso, linked with Ostersund by two bridges. At the old Frosobru is an 11 th c. runic stone. From the Oseberg (468 m 1536 ft) there are fine views of the lake and the large forests on the island. 6-5 km (4 miles) W ofthe bridge is a church’, its earliest parts date from the 12th c. (rebuilt 1898; free-standingtower). In the churchyard isthegraveof the composer W. Petersen-Berger, whose country house, Sommarhagen, is nearby. Also nearby is a wildlife park. 1 km (f mile) W of the church is the farm of Stocke, with the Stocketitt lookout tower (view reaching to the mountains on the Norwegian frontier).

There is a car ferry from Froso to the island otAnderso, which (like Skansholm and Iso) is a nature reserve; remains of 17th c. fortifications. On the shores of the lake to the S is Sunne church, with the remains of a castle built by King Sverre in 1178 after the defeat of the Jamts on the frozen lake.

Ostersund Sweden Map Photo Gallery



Maybe You Like Them Too

Leave a Reply

76 − 75 =