Combining culinary interests with walking tours, sampling tours have become a popular tourist activity in New Orleans, Seattle, and New York, among other cities.
In the city where Creole cuisine – proclaimed to be the country’s only true regional cuisine – originated, New Orleans Culinary History Tours (www.noculinarytours.com) offers daily walking tours. Stops on the tour include several historic restaurants, including the two oldest in the city: Antoine’s and Tujague’s, established in 1840 and 1856, respectively.
The sampling-tour concept has also caught on in Seattle. Savor Seattle Tours (www.savorseattletours.com) offers six food tours in the area, including the VIP Pike Place Tour, Chocolate Indulgence, and Booze n’ Bites. Seattle Food Tours (www.seattlefoodtours.com) offers cultural and food tours of both Pike Place Market and the Belltown neighborhood.
Sampling Tours USA Photo Gallery
In South Florida, Miami Culinary Tours (www.miamiculinarytours.com) offers the Art Deco Breakfast Tour ($35), Little Havana Food Tour ($59), South Beach Food Tour ($59), and Wynwood Food Tour ($69).
In Baltimore, Charm City Food Tours (www.charmcityfoodtours.com) hosts culinary tours of four neighborhoods: Federal Hill, Fells Point, Little Italy/Jonestown, and Mount Vernon.
Walking tours focusing on New York City’s diverse ethnic and local cuisine are popular. The following are three of the more popular tours:
• Savory Sojourns (www.savorysojourns.com) hosts tours throughout Manhattan that include visits to the city’s myriad specialty food shops and indoor markets. The group also takes visitors on ethnic food tours through such neighborhoods as Chinatown, Little Italy, and Atlantic Avenue, also known as ‘Little Arabia.’
• New York Chocolate Tours (www.sweetwalks.com), hosted by Carmen Botez, editor of an online magazine, charges visitors $70 for a tasting tour of the city’s high-end sweets shops.
• Foods of New York Tours (www.foodsofny.com) offers tours of shops and restaurants in Brooklyn, Chelsea Market and The Meatpacking District, Central Village and SoHo, Chinatown, and Nolita/NoHo.
Maybe You Like Them Too
- Top 10 Reasons to Visit Belize
- Top 10 Best Airports in the World 2022
- Top 10 Underrated US States to Visit
- Top 10 Underrated American Beach Destinations
- Top 10 USA Western Road Trips