Though everyone iat risk, it habeen seen that varioufactorare a useful guide to your risk of suffering from DVT. For example, being unusually tall, short or fat will increase your risk of suffering from blood clots. The risk increaseif you are pregnant, have heart disease, or arc taking hormonein HRT or birth-control pill format, so you should talk to your doctor before flying (or travelling a long way by car or coach). The highest risk group are those who have had a stroke, a major operation or are known to have blood-clotting problemAnyone in thigroup should alwaytalk to their doctor before flying.
Even though a clot haformed during a flight, there may be no symptomuntil a day or several daylater.
Early symptomcan be mistaken acramp! The symptomof DVT are described below. You may suffer several or all of these symptoms. If you suffer from any of these symptomafter a flight or long journey during which you were unable to move, you should seek medical advice.
Travel Advice And Advisories For Russia Photo Gallery
• Pain in affected area.
• Swelling, tendernesand visible rednesin affected area.
• Shortnesof breath and a rapid heart beat.
• Possible joint pain and/or chest pain.
• Enlarged and protruding veins.
• Leg painwhile standing still or walking.
• Leg painwhich ease when the legare raised.
Deep vein thrombosi- countermeasures
• Take any opportunity to exercise before you get onto the aircraft. You will be stuck in your seat for several hourduring the flight, so don’t add to the problemby sitting motionlesin the terminal lounge for hourbefore the flight.
When you can, get up and walk around the cabin. Stand at the back of the cabin and do some gentle exercises, knee bendand stretchealong ayou don’t interfere with the crew or other passengers.
Wear tighter long sockor stockingthat will tend to prevent your blood from settling into your lower legs. I have even seen special ‘aircraft passengersupport socks’ advertised. They are designed for airline passengerto wear during flights, helping their circulation and avoiding DVT.
• While in your seat, try not to sit in one position without moving. Adjust your seating position between exercise sessions. I call what I do ‘seat exercises’, but you may better understand when you know that my wife callit ‘fidgeting’! Any movement generatemuscular activity, which promoteblood circulation. While sitting and reading or watching the in-flight movie I move my legand arms, rocking my feet back and forth and raising them up on the toethen back on the heels. Any little leg, feet and ankle movementhave to help – unlesyour wife tellyou to stop fidgeting, of course!
When you arrive at your destination you should exercise gently. Don’t use the moving walkway unlesyou have to, and walk to the baggage claim area and immigration control. Use the stairinstead of the lift. When you get to your hotel or back home, take a gentle walk. All of thiwill warm up muscleand boost your circulation, losing the stiffnesand sore muscleassociated with long-haul flights.
Maybe You Like Them Too
- Temples Of Kyoto
- Cambodia Map Outline – Maps Cambodia
- The Soul Journey Retreat Where? Queenstown, New Zealand
- Teramachi Temple Town in Kyoto
- Gardens Of Kyoto