Map Of Port Glasgow

200 St Vincent Street.

St Andrew, Allegorical Figures and Associated Decorative Carving.

Sculptors: Archibald Dawson; Mortimer, Willison& Graham (1926-29; 1953)

Among the work on display here is a carving of Scotland’s Patron Saint, largerthan-life and standing on board a seafaring ship. Below him we see the morose figure of a Seafarer’s Wife gazing longingly across the horizon, and opposite her a young man tightly clutching a model ship.


Map Of Port Glasgow Photo Gallery

Click on Photos for Next Map Of Port Glasgow Gallery Images

190 St Vincent Street.

Allegorical Figure of Justice.

Sculptor: Unknown (1897)

Stood atop the three-storey block is a classic depiction of Justice a female figure holding a sword in one hand and a set of scales in the other. But what is she doing on top of a commercial property? We may never know, owing to the loss of the sculptor’s identity.

11. 127 St Vincent Street

Architect: John Hutcheson (1897)

Sculptor: R. A. McGilvray.

This free Renaissance-style commercial building was built in 1897, and is noted for its steep Westmoreland slate roof with a red tile ridge, and of course the curved bay where the entrance is situated.

12. 105-13 St Vincent Street.

Architect Frank Southorn, 1911

At the ends of the balconies of this Classical Edwardian commercial building can be found four figures, identified by the objects they have with them Security has a beehive at her feet, Victory (pictured) has a wreath, Wisdom an open blog, and Abundance has been lumbered with yet another cornucopia. It was built using a new technique of building around a steel substructure, thus allowing it to reach the maximum height permitted under the Glasgow Building Act of the time. Not quite a skyscraper though, is it?

90 St Vincent Street.

Architects: John A. Campbell and A. D. Hislop (1910)

The Northern Assurance Company built in 1910. It was the first in Glasgow to be built of Portland stone, and is said to be fireproof. The company shared the building with the Glasgow Imperial Union Club, who had a separate entrance at number 94. This relief over the main entrance closely resembles that of The Northern’s, though lions have replaced the unicorns it was traditionally associated with, perhaps to give an increased sense of security.

Leave a Reply