When the United Nations decided to set up their headquarters in New York after the Second World War, the town started calling itself World City. It is an apt title. Throughout the 350 years of its history. New York has been the most cosmopolitan of cities. In 1970. almost 19 per cent of its 8 million inhabitants had been bom abroad. Nine foreign- language dailies are still published here as each little community tries to retain its individuality.
In recent years, the city has often seemed to be on the brink of disaster. Financial problems have threatened to topple the mighty metropolis. New York, which had always been first and foremost, has had to take stock. But it’s certainly premature to proclaim the demise of this city that has been a symbol of opportunity for so long.
New York Map Photo Gallery
Maybe You Like Them Too
- Coolest Countries in the World to Visit
- Travel to Santorini, Greece
- Map of Barbados – Holiday in Barbados
- RAFFLES DUBAI DUBAI HAS LONG BEEN THE DESTINATION FOR SUN-DRENCHED OPULENCE
- Adventure awaits in Park City Utah