GOVERNOR KNOWLES STATE FOREST
32,000 acres. Fifty-five-mile-long Governor Knowles
State Forest, in northwest Wisconsin, protects a narrow band of land on the eastern side of the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway, along the state’s border with Minnesota.
Activities: Two 22-mile-long trails parallel the river, and these are suitable for hiking or backpacking. Canoeing is available on the river, with canoe rentals nearby. About ten miles of the area’s trails are used for cross-country skiing in winter, and there’s a 26-mile trail for horseback riding. Fishing is possible as well.
Camping Regulations: Camping is allowed along portions of the trails, and there are also a few designated canoe-campsites by the river. A free camping permit must be obtained from forest headquarters. Campfires are allowed.
For Further Information: Governor Knowles State Forest, P.O. Box 367, Grantsburg, WI 54840; (715)463-2898.
Wisconsin Travel Photo Gallery
Maybe You Like Them Too
- Map of Barbados – Holiday in Barbados
- The 10 Best American National Parks to Visit
- RAFFLES DUBAI DUBAI HAS LONG BEEN THE DESTINATION FOR SUN-DRENCHED OPULENCE
- Adventure awaits in Park City Utah
- Maldives Luxury Resort | Huvafen Fushi Maldives