Denmark (Northern Jutland).
County: Nordjyllands amt.
Altitude: 15 m (50 ft). Population: 155,000.
Postal code: DK-9000. Telephone code: 08.
Aalborg Turistforening,(JsterSgade 8; tel. 12 60 22.
HOTELS. Hvide Hus, Vesterbro 2, 364 bž SP: Central-Hotel, Vesterbro 36-38, 100 Motel Aalborg-Scheelsminde, Scheelsmindevej 35, 106 b.: Viking, Bulevarden 31, 70 b. YOUTH HOSTEL.
CAMP SITES. Molleparken, Strandparken, 0ster-vangen, Lindholm (Norresundby).
RESTAURANTS. Bondestuen, Vingardsgade 5: Jomfru Ane. Jomfru Anesgade 16; Promenaden, Kastetvej 12 (Greenland specialties): Ellen Marsvins Vinhus, Qsteragade 23.
EVENT, Multi Music Festival (July-August).
Alborg (Aalborg), Denmark’s fourth largest town, lies on the S side of the Limfjord, which links the North Sea with the Kattegat. A road and railway bridge and the Limfjord Tunnel (553 m (600 yds) long, 6 lanes), opened in 1969, lead to Norresundby on the N side of the fjord, now part of Greater Alborg.
Originally a Viking settlement, Alborg received its municipal charter in 1 342 and after the Reformation became a flourishing commercial town. It is now a hub of commerce, industry, education and culture (University founded 1973). The modern harbour handles Danish trade with Greenland, and among the town’s principal industries are shipbuilding, cement manufacture, tobacco and the production of snaps (Aalborg Akvavit). The town has many old buildings and attractive parks and gardens. this, in OsterSgade, Jens Bangs Stenhus, the best-preserved and best-appointed old burgher’s house in the SIGHTS. In the middle of the old town, in Budolfi Pads, stands the late medieval St Botolph’s Church (Set. Budolfi Kirke: restored c. 1 900). The carillon of 1 8 bells (1970) plays at every hour from 9 a.m. to 1 0 p.m. A little way NW of the church, at 48 Algade, is the Historical Museum (prehistoric material; history of the town; glass and silver). To the NE, in C. W. Obels Plads, is the well preserved Monastery of the Holy Ghost (founded 1431), Denmark’s oldest social service institution, now a welfare home (conducted tours by arrangement with the Tourist Office). NE of St Botolph’s, in Gamle Torv, is the Old Town Hall (1762); and to the N of Jens Bangs Stenhus, Alborg town, built in 1 623-4 by a prosperous merchant named Jens Bang. Beyond this, on the W side of 0ster3gade, is Jorgen Olufsens Gard, another merchant’s house (1 61 6) with a stone doorway. Opposite is Aalborghus Castle (1 539), now occupied by local government offices; visitors can see the fortifications. SE of Budolfi Plads, reached by way of Algade, we come to one of the town’s oldest churches, Ior Frue Kirke (Church of Our Lady: built c. 1100, rebuilt 1 879). There are a number of old houses in the neighbourhood, including a historic old potter’s workshop in Hjelmerstald. In the angle between Norregadeand Fjordsgade nine houses from various parts of the town, all between 1 50 and 400 years old, have been rebuilt. To the S of Vor Frue Kirke, on the site of a former monastery, is the Northern Jutland Library. Farther E is the Tivoliland amusement park (open AprilSeptember 1-11 p.m.).
The old town is bounded on the W by Vesterbro, in which are two notable works of sculpture: at the end of Bispegade the Cimbrian Bull (Cimbrertyren), by Bund-gSrd, and farther S the Goose Girl (GSsepigen), by Henning, both erected in 1 937. Vesterbro runs S to St Ansgar’s Church (Set. Ansgar Kirke), on the W side of the street, and opposite this is the Aalborghallen, a large conference and cultural complex and theatre with seating for 3400. To the SW, at 50 Kong Kristians Alle, is the Northern Jutland Museum of Art (1 971), which contains a collection of Danish painting from 1890 and 20th c. foreign art. Immediately S of this is the Skovbakke (Forest Hill), with an open-air theatre (Friluftsteater) and a lookout tower 55 m (1 80 ft) high, Aalborgtarnet. 1 5 km (1 mile) SW is the Mellepark, with the Zoo.
To the E ofthe town are a new residential district AALBORG-OST and extensive industrial installations.
SURROUNDINGS. To the N of the Limfjord, near Norresundby, lies the Viking site of Lindholm Hoje, a large cemetery in which more than 650 graves have so far been found, together with the remains of a village (1 5 houses, 6 wells). 27 km (1 7 miles) S of Alborg (Road A10), in an area of heathland, are the beautiful Rebild Hills (Rebild Bakker), declared a National Park on the initiative of Danish Americans (great celebrations on Independence Day, 4 July). At the entrance to the park are a restaurant and a museum (local history; the travelling fiddlers of Jutland). In the park is a replica of Lincoln’s Log Cabin, built in 1934 with logs from America (museum of emigration). On a hill to the NE is the Cimbrerstenen, a rock with the carved figure of a bull and the inscription Cimbrerne drog ut fra disse egne (The Cimbri set out from this area). 3 km (2 miles) S of the park is the village of Rebild (youth hostel; two camp sites; holiday houses). Near the village, on A1 0, is the Tingbaek Limestone Quarry, with extensive underground workings, now housing a museum of sculpture by BundgSrd and Bonnesen (open May-October, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.). To the S of Rebild extends the Rold Skov, one ofthe largest and most unspoiled areas of forest in Denmark (6400 hectares 16,000 acres).