Romania Map Images The Old Women The Sphinx View from Cota 1400, Prahova Valley
On a platform of the Great Saddle of Caraiman, at an altitude of 2,291m, there towers the thirty-three-metre-high Cross of Heroes. It was constructed in 1926-1928, at the initiative of Queen Maria, in memory of the soldiers who fell in the Prahova Valley during the First World War.
The charming resort of Sinaia, considered the “Pearl of the Carpathians”, situated at the foot of the Bucegi Mountains, is 122km from Bucharest and 49km from Brashov. Sinaia grew up around the monastery of the same name, which was founded in 1690-95 by Mihail Cantacuzino the Spatharius, modelled on the Saint Elena Monastery on Mount Sinai.
Carol I of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, the first king of Romania, charmed by the environs of Sinaia, decided in 1866 to establish his summer residence here. Between 1875 and 1883, Peles Castle was built, in the style of the German neo-Renaissance. Since 1953, Peles Castle has been a museum. It has collections of paintings and engravings (Rembrandt, El Greco, Raphael, Correggio, Murrilo, Velasquez, Bruegel), sculptures, armour, medallions, oriental carpets, furniture, period costume, Flemish and French tapestries, 15th-18th century Swiss and German stained glass, rare books, Japanese ceramics, English silverware etc. The nearby Pelisor Castle was the residence of royal couple Ferdinand and Maria.
Romania Map Google Earth Photo Gallery
Click on Photos for Next Romania Map Google Earth Gallery Images
At the Luminis Villa in the Cumpatu district, once the home of composer George Enescu, there is a memorial museum. It also houses the Sinaia European Cultural Centre.
Winter sports enthusiasts will find alpine ski slopes, on and off-piste skiing, with varying levels of difficulty, and slopes for sledding.
In Posada, we can visit the Martha Bibescu Castle, built in 1934 by Prince Goerge Valentin Bibescu and his wife as a winter residence for the family. Since 1996, a new wing of the castle has housed the Carpathian Hunting Museum, the only one of its kind in the country. The museum has hunting trophies and collections of swords, rifles, daggers, bows, crossbows, spears, bugles and gunpowder horns which once belonged to Romanian kings and princes or were gifts to the Royal Family.