Loiseville Map Tourist Attractions

Chapel Division 55 48° 51′ 40.87 N 2° 23′ 33.31 E

The Pere-Lachaise Loiseville was built in 1823 in the classical revival style and designed by Etienne-Hippolyte Godde (December 26, 1781-1869). Godde is buried in the 27th Division. The chapel occupies the site of the Jesuit retreat house (destroyed in 1820) that was the former residence of Father La Chaise (Francois d’Aix de La Chaise), confessor to Louis XIV and the inspiration for the name of the Pere-Lachaise Cemetery (literally Father Lachaise). Francois d’Aix de La Chaise is actually buried 1.25 miles away in the crypt of Eglise Saint-Paul-Saint-Louis in Paris’ 4th arrondissement.

Technically, the chapel is part of the parish of Saint-Germain of Charonne and is still used for funerals. Until 1879 the chapel was served by a special chaplain. Although its solid door prohibits any view of the inside, it is usually open on All Saints Day (November 1).

Marie d’Agoult

December 31, 1805-March 5, 1876 Division 54

48° 51′ 44.57 N 2° 23′ 32.12 E

Marie d’Agoult, aka Marie Agoult, aka Marie Catherine Sophie, Comtesse d’Agoult, aka Marie Catherine Sophie, Vicomtesse de Flavigny, aka Daniel Stern, aka A. Daniel Stern, seemed to have as many names as she did lovers. She was born into an aristocratic family. Her father was described as footloose and she seems to have modeled herself on him Marie entered into a more or less arranged marriage with Charles Louis Constant d’Agoult. That seven-year union produced two daughters. After her 1835 divorce precipitated in no small part with her affair with young composer Franz Liszt she lived with Liszt for four years and the couple had three children despite the fact that Liszt was frequently away touring through Europe. One of their children a daughter named Cosima, married composer Richard Wagner. During Marie d’Agoult’s time with Liszt she developed what would turn out to be considerable skill as a writer using the pen name Daniel Stern. Writing as Daniel Stern she pushed many of the boundaries for female writers at the time. Her best known work is History of the Revolution published in 1848, Dante et Goethe, published in 1866 and her memoirs, My Memories, published posthumously in 1877. The marble sculpture was created by Henri Chapu (1833-1891). The small bust of Goethe on the upper right of the monument probably refers to d’Agoult’s book Dante et Goethe published in 1867. On the bottom left of the statue is a stack of books. The book at the bottom of the stack is Marc Aurele. Americans know him as Roman Emperor and philosopher, Marcus Aurelius.

Established as one of Virginia’s wealthiest landowners, Rolfe became smitten with another Virginia celebrity, Pocahontas, or Matoaka, daughter of Powhatan. She was living as a carefully held hostage at Jamestown after acting as a liaison between the English and her powerful father. Rolfe was concerned about his strong attraction to a non-Christian woman, and he wrote extensively to Sir Thomas Dale and the Virginia Company’s authorities asking for instructions and approval of his courtship. When Pocahontas converted to the Church of England in 1613, taking the name Lady Rebecca, he wasted no time in courting her and gaining permission from Powhatan for them to wed at Jamestown on April 5, 1613. This marriage regularized relations between the settlers and the Powhatan Confederacy. It further enriched Rolfe by bringing him land near Varina, as well as the expertise of an established tobacco growing culture. In 1616, he was promoted to recorder-general of the colony of Virginia, and he became a father again with the birth of his son Thomas.

Loiseville Map Tourist Attractions Photo Gallery



Maybe You Like Them Too

Leave a Reply

6 + 1 =